Charleston Pre-marital Agreements
The current trend is for parties to enter into a pre-nuptial, or “antenuptial” agreement prior to marriage. In the event of a divorce later, this agreement should control as long as certain criteria are met.
A pre-nuptial agreement can do the following:
- Settle the property rights of the parties
- Provide for child support
- Provide for the allocation of custodial responsibility and the determination of decision-making responsibility for the children of the parties (as long as it is later determined to be in the best interest of the minor children)
- Provide for the payment or waiver of spousal support by either party
- Otherwise settle and compromise issues arising from the marital rights and obligations of the parties